Monday, October 18, 2010

Tender around the edges

Today has been a tender one. My grandma passed away early this morning holding my mother's hand. Words can't describe the joy I feel for her. She has been wishing for this for a long time - well ever since her sweetheart passed in '92. I don't think Heavenly Father wanted her to stay here on Earth because he had some things he wanted HER to learn, I think he had her stay because he knew that she was the only one who could teach US some things. I feel blessed to have been able to know my grandma so well, and be so close to her.

These are some of the memories I've been thinking about today

~Being her helper as she made potato soup.
~Walking to and from Joy School together and picking figs off of the neighbors tree on our way.
~Waking up Christmas morning and huddling by her space heater while she told us stories.
~Taking her blood sugar and giving her insulin shots.
~Watching old western's together.
~As her memory declined she began to swear like a sailor - totally out of character for her - which made it really, really funny. One day at church she had been talking to a ward member and after the conversation was done and the person was walking away she turned to me and asked...probably a little to loudly, "$#!*, who the #@!! was that?" I think I laughed out loud.

I have tons of memories - probably some that no granddaughter should ever have of there grandma. But that's what's happen when your grandma lives in your home. Growing old isn't always graceful - sometimes it's just, well...hard. Grandma kept it real.

I can't help but think that there is a party going on in heaven tonight. Grandma is beautiful with curls in her hair and her apricot dress swirling as she dances with grandpa.

Here's to you, Grandma. I know you are smiling.

Grandma and I in January or '05, not too long after she moved to Friendship Village.

4 generations of Webb/Tenney/Corriveau/Coleman Women
December 2007

Prime and Grandma in her final hours

Grandma's sweetheart, Clif

5 comments:

miss chaz. said...

Oh Elyse, I'm thinking of you! what a bittersweet moment. thank you so much for sharing. grandmas hold such a special place in our hearts:)

much love to you and your family!

Coleman Family said...

What sweet and hilarious memories you have of your grandma. It's wonderful to know she's in a glorious place with the love of her life. Thank goodness as members we know this - those we love that pass will be with us again. Prayers for you and your family will be said tonight - hugs!

Heidi said...

with your memories i started remembering some of my own from my visits to your house in highschool. ;) i was always impressed with how your family treated grandma while she lived with you. i don't know a more generous family. your image of her dancing in your aparicot dress just lifted my spirits and made me smile. :) take care.

Cody & Britt said...

thinking of you and your family, elyse!! i love all the memories you wrote for this post...she was one special lady!

KBlack said...

What beautiful words! Thanks for sharing memories. I remember when we went to Grandma's for Christmas we had to drink a glass of orange juice before we could open our presents:)