Monday, November 23, 2009

it was horrible

Today was one of those days that you prepare for as a teacher but always pray will never happen...well it happened and I had to call 911. It was terrifying. I had a little girl trip with a pencil in her hand. The pencil punctured her right next to her collar bone. Luckily my assistant was right next to her when she tripped and helped her stand up - when my assistant turned her around completely white faced and I saw the pencil sticking out of her I bolted to call 911.

Our administrator darted to get to her - the girl was in shock, but very calm. I got the rest of the class to the playground quickly without much commotion - my assistant and another teacher stayed on the playground with my class while I called the girls parents (who, with full reason, were FREAKING OUT). The paramedics were there within minutes and she was wheeled out - stretcher and all - to the hospital.

Our administrator was strapped to the stretcher with the little girl on her lap. When they got to the emergency room the parents were there and the on call Dr. was a former parent from the school (how serendipitous). The pencil was fortunately located in a place that caused no damage or harm. The Dr. removed it, bandaged her up and she was free to go.

After the ambulance had gone the adrenalin started to wear off and I had a slight brake down- I almost had to pull out a paper bag to slow my breathing...

There are so many ways that this situation could have gone - I couldn't help but think that just an inch or 2 in any other direction that pencil could have done some major damage...maybe even worse...

So many tender mercies - I have no doubt that there were angels looking over all of us...especially my little student.

3 comments:

Coleman Family said...

Yikes! What a terrifying experience! I'm so relieved to know she was ok. Hope you've been able to calm down, that would be hard to go through!

Sarah Nicole said...

I'm so glad this ended up so well! Reading this made me cry. Probably just some left over newborn hormones... How scary for you!! Just like you said, I can't help but think about the places it could have gone that could have caused major damage.

Heidi said...

you bet there were angels there! what a miracle that she survived with no major injury. i think about guardian angels every time luke is running around the park with a stick in his hand. that child... ;)

but you all did the right thing and acted very professionally. so good job! hopefully it's the last 911 call you ever have to make!!

... can you reinact the running while pregnant part. ;)