Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Proud Montessori Teacher Moment....


Today I had such a sweet moment with one of my students...This little guy had been working on this map for a few days now and was getting to the end... He traced all of the states by himself, painted them the "Montessori specific colors", cut out all the labels and matched and glued them....it was a really big, time consuming project! Then when he was almost done he was double checking his work and noticed that Kentucky was missing...he looked and looked and then finally got out some white paper and wrote it for himself cut it out and glued it on. He came over to get me to show me all of his hard work and then he says, " I worked so hard Mrs. Coleman...but I did it all by my self...that felt good!" I just wanted to cry...because that's what Montessori is all about - helping the children do it themselves. At the beginning of the school year...even three months ago - he would not have had the self confidence and discipline to accomplish what he did. These are the moments that help me through the rough wild days...in the end all of the hard work pays off!


And now for your viewing pleasure...My Classroom!
This is the view standing from the door and looking directly ahead


This is looking from the door and to the right
This is looking from the door to your far right

This is looking from the the wall opposite the door

2 comments:

CF Is Not Forever said...

What a neat day! THat does look like a huge project and good for him for all his hard work! I am so glad you posted pictures of the classroom, amazing! You are one of my heros and also Emmies growing up pictures are adorable!

Carianne said...

Your classroom looks so clean! I am impressed. You are an awesome teacher.