Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Burnt Toast

When I was little I had that kind of hair that you would brush after taking a bath and it would dry all wonky.  Strait in some places, curly in others.  I would complain to my mom and she would tell me to go eat burnt toast.  Because her uncle told her that burnt toast would either put hair on your chest or curl your hair.  Being young and knowing that I had a 50% chance of getting the outcome I wanted I ate up all the burnt toast I could.  Surprise surprise.  Nothing happened. I still had wonky hair.  So after a series of perms I decided to throw in the towel and just suck it up that I would have to straiten my hair every day.  And I did for years.  I even went super short for a while because I didn't take as long to straiten.  6 years ago I decided to try the curls again.  I cut off 10 inches of hair and went curly.  It was okay but I still liked my hair strait better.  After a few months I went back to the straightener.  Every once and a while I would go on a curly spree.  But it never lasted long. I got tired of not having the curls I wanted...they're dull and limp and by the end of the day I was unhappy.  It wasn't until a few months ago, after having Prime that I lost a TON of hair (did that happen to anyone else? Hardly lose any during pregnancy and then when baby pops out lose a ton?)  all the new hair that has come in has been super curly and I don't know if it's always been that way and I've just have straitened the life out of it too soon but it's awesome.  I was satisfied with the curls.  I left it alone during the week (living with headbands to try and mask my frizzy halo) and then straitening on the weekends when I had the time.  It wasn't until I saw this post and it rocked my world. (check out my friend, Debbie's, blog...she does vintage sales and has some vintage suitcases that I drool over...she also has a bunch of other awesome things up for sale.)  I went to the salon that she mentioned (it's right down the street from me...fate) and after about a week of playing around with the product and hydrating my poor hair I am one happy curly girl.  I LOVE IT! I've never gotten any positive comments on my hair unless it's strait.  And now every one's like: did you perm your hair? - it looks great! It brings me back to the child hood days of eating all that burnt toast (to this day I still eat everyone's burnt toast...habit?) Anyways...this was a really long story...and there are many more layers to the life long drama that it has been to have what I thought was wonky hair.  Now I know I just didn't know how to care for it.

Now for some before and after.

This picture was taken on Valentine's Day at our school party (isn't that little girl adorable? I've taught her 2 older siblings also...I hope to get her little brother too...the whole set!)  Notice the hair.  Limp. Lifeless.  Dull.  Blah.  This is a picture of a picture...cool. 


A week after my curl girl makeover.  drastic right?

I'm excited to see how my hair will be once it has a few month of hydration

6 comments:

Coleman Family said...

Wow! Lookin' good hot mama!

Heidi said...

OH MY GOSH! HOW DID MY HAIR GET ON YOUR HEAD?!?!?!?! that's FANTASTIC!!! you're dream come true!!

Carianne said...

Elyse, I feel your pain with the straightener. I have your same hair type. Seriously your hair in the after shot is fabulous! I am going to go find that book right now.

Lindy said...

So...what did they do to you at the salon? Did you buy the book or just go in?

debsfreckles said...

You have no idea how happy this post has made me. You curls look gorgeous! It is so wonderful, isn't it?

miss chaz. said...

I LOVE it! It looks great. Those hydration treatments are bomb.