Thursday, July 30, 2009

Montessori Mornings

The child becomes a person through work.
-Maria Montessori

Emmie is at such a fun age right now. For the past few days we've set aside some "work time" in the morning for Montessori activities. I put together some works and she has been having a ball! I'm amazed at the level of concentration such little ones have when they are given a task they can be successful with.

These are just some of the works Emmie's been doing:

Button Drop

Spoon Transfer

Pouring

Clothes Pinning



I love how pleased she is with herself at the end - it makes me smile.

Other quotes from Maria Montessori that I love:
“Whoever touches the life of the child, touches the most sensitive point of a whole which has roots in the most distant past and climbs towards the infinite future.”

“There is in a child a special kind of sensitivity which leads him to absorb everything about him, and it is this work of observing and absorbing that alone enables him to adapt himself to life” (Montessori, 1967, 62).


p.s. Before work time Emmie had spilled her breakfast all over herself...hence no shirt...and hey what the heck...If I were a toddler I think I would like to run around with only skivvies on! What freedom! I figure she should enjoy it while she can!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

i love the site you emailed me. luke has the most fun playing with seashells in a big bowl of water and then using his magnifying glass to check them out. ;) it's fun. emmie looks like a pro with those works!!

Vanessa Hatch said...

Elyse!!!
Oh my gosh Emmie is huge! I haven't actually met her. She's was in your belly when I lived worked with you! Sounds like you guys are doing great! Took me forever to find your page sorry! lol! Hope all is going well