Thursday, February 17, 2011

February Shelves

As a working mom, I get a lot of sympathetic looks from those who are fortunate enough to do the stay at home mom thing. And while, yes, I would love to be a stay at home mom - that's just not in the cards for us right now and it's all good. I have the best job in the world. I work for my mom and I get to do what I love. And really, I think doing what I do has made me a better mom. What could be better than that?

I don't really blog about my work life and I'm starting to wonder why. It's a huge part of my life and I'm really good at it (if I do say so myself) so...for those who are interested (and if it's no one, that's okay) I'd like to start sharing bits and pieces of what it is to be a Montessorian.

Every few weeks I change out my Practical Life shelves. Usually the "works" (our word for activities) revolves around the time of year and what my theme for the month is.

For the first 2 weeks of February I did...ta-ta-da...valentines. These are my 2 Practical Life shelves:


From Left to Right:
Top: pom-pom into mail box, heart clothes pins, ladybug eggs
Middle: cake sewing, heart stringing, heart decorating with strait pins
Bottom: Shoe lacing, buttoning, zipping

From Right to Left:
Top: Heart spooning, rose tonging, rose sort/tweezing
Middle: heart pouring, heart pouring (sharing the quantity), wet pouring
Bottom: peg hammering, cookie cutter grading, place mate puzzle matching


This is a close up of a few works:

Hear buttoning: I got this idea from Counting Coconuts (LOVE her site)
pom-poms and mail box. For this work the child uses a full fist grasp to fill the mail box

Ladybug eggs. The goal for this work is to open up the egg and place one wooden ladybug in it then close it back up. The children LOVED this work!

Rose tweezing/sorting: The tweezers are used to place the pink roses in the cup with the pink sticker on the bottom and the red roses in the cup with the red sticker.


okay...so this work is more "Halloween" looking...but a lot of my students needed major help with their zipping skills so I stuffed one of Primes 3-6 month Halloween shirts because it matched the jacket. As an added bonus it had a monster face on it. Although it was valentines time they completely ate it up! I'm happy to announce the my children need less help with their zippers now. ta-da!

5 comments:

Sarah Nicole said...

Excellent! Thanks for sharing! These are great ideas.

Heidi said...

rad! i got homesick for your classroom! and you do rock as a teacher. you have doomed forever the teachers in our future because they won't compare. :)

Jared and Tara said...

i am so glad you decided to share this! i have been curious about montessori but didn't want to pester you with TOO many questions. :) from the little bits i've seen of you in primary i can tell you're an amazing teacher! thanks for the ideas, i'm sure eva will love these.

Coleman Family said...

You are a fabulous mom and I assume a terrific teacher by the looks of your shelves! I'd love to hear more about your work!

debsfreckles said...

I love that you posted this. I love learning about monti (thats what I call it) and you are a genious! I wish my kids could be in you class room.