Friday, June 12, 2009

One of the Wonders - Day 3

As we looked forward to this day Dad Coleman assured us that after two full days of walking the great wall would be a "restful" one. HA! It sounded restful at the time....drive an hour and a half, take a cable car to the top, walk as much as you want...or don't walk at all...how ever much we wanted to do was up to us. After 2 very full days of walking I was kind of looking forward to a "restful Wall experience". But then I got to the top and I was overcome by the coolness of it. This monstrosity was put together by hand over an enormous span of time and I could not just sit by and pass up the opportunity - regardless of my foot situation...you can see it from space for heavens sake!

The plan was just to go until my foot started to hurt...but it never did (coincidence? hum...maybe) So we just kept going and going and going and we did (most of) the whole thing. (Matt went a little farther than me....but it's just because the last push was pure stairs...I got 3/4th the way up them...then realized I had to go down...I let the boot win than one...I try not to regret it.)

I felt like I was walking in history - so cool. I just can't imagine what it would have been like to be a guard who had to live on the wall in one of those towers....or a worker who just slaved his life away to build it. I bet they have some amazing stories I'd like to hear about! Anyways - it is something I will forever remember. We had an amazing day!


Matt and I at the beginning
The view from the first tower

Got to go up to get out


The view from the end

Matt and Dave, the 2 Coleman's who did it!

just get a look at that view...beautiful...

The final stretch...pure stairs

Matt swiping a piece of history...just kidding! (or are we??)

"Everybody was Kung-foo fighting"

The Coleman's conquered the wall!
Coleman girls...where was Ame???

A view from the outside

Walking the wallDoes this picture look like it should be in a music video?

I wasn't the only one! This is my booted friend from Australia...conquering the wall one stair at a time...he had it worse than me - Achilles heal problems - I'll take a stress fracture over that any day!


waking the wall in real time! enjoy!

0 comments: