Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Non-Dairy Life....

So it's been about 6 weeks now since we figured out that Emmie has a milk (and possibly soy) allergy so therefor I've been off of dairy. It's a rough life. I can not believe how many things have milk/soy protein in it...but I have to tell you it's worth it not to be up with a screaming infant all night long. I've discovered the wonders of almond milk. I like using almond milk to cook with now - it gives everything a sweet vanilla-y taste - try it - you'll be surprised at how good it is! The one up side to this whole non-dairy thing (besides Emmie's new found happiness) is that I've lost a little weight....I guess it's a no brainer when you can't eat ice cream, butter, cheese, cookies...etc...

6 comments:

CF Is Not Forever said...

I started to cry a little when I read your sad story about no more ice-cream...but I am glad the happy ending is no more sad babies because that stinks big time! Glad you figured it out!

Alisa said...

I love almond milk! Cookies are pretty easy to make dairy-free / soy-free, especially if you don't have an egg issue. Take the tollhouse recipe, but in place of the butter, use 1/2 the amount of oil. (I think it would come out to 1/2 cup for the whole recipe). I use grapeseed or extra-light olive oil (not extra virgin) as they are fairly neutral in taste and soy-free. You may need to add a little extra flour, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Here is another easy recipe - http://www.godairyfree.org/Recipes/Dairy-Free-Desserts/Peanut-Butter-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies-Gluten-Free-Soy-Free.html.

Andy & Jen said...

Merry Christmas! Andy and I are heading up to Washington tomorrow...I'll make sure we tell everyone hi for you and Matt! Sorry about the no dairy diet. Look in the bright side, at least Christmas treats won't be so tempting!

Heidi said...

maybe I should be a good best friend and go dairy-free with you... kinda like sympathy pains, you know. :) but then i'd actually have to make myself eat a REAL lunch instead of cereal and that would just turn my world upside down! perhaps I should try this almond milk... i'm intrigued! 3 more days until we're in AZ!!! YAIH!

Russ and Debbie said...

wow, I'm glad Emmie is happy, but sorry you will have to deal with this the rest of your lives.

B. said...

No worries! I was allergic to cow milk (a protein allergy) until I was about 10 years old. But, then it went away. At the time there wasn't the whole soy/rice/almond milk craze like now - so you should have a much easier time finding alternatives than my mom did.
-brenden